<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 02, 2005

If I get Deported

If I get deported for some reason from the UK, my work visa is revoked, I get into a fight at a bar, I get profiled as an extremist, I plan on going to Dubai. The above picture is of a Chevrolet Lumina SS. Now to most Americans a Chevrolet Lumina is a mediocre FWD sedan built by GM in the 1990s. The Chevrolet Lumina SS is actually the Holden Commodore rebadged for the Middle East as a Chevrolet. It has LHD steering, and the SS trim has the Corvette engine shoehorned under the hood. With gas selling for about a dollar in the UAE, this is the car to have. Plus I've read that public transportation sucks in Dubai.

Why Dubai? From what I've read there is a great deal of economic opportunity there. There is no income tax, and six figure incomes are quite possible, especially for Western ex-pats. Dubai is the capitol city of one of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), specifically Abu Dhabi. The UAE is a wealthy, sparsely populated sheikdom much like Bahrain, Qatar, and Oman. Unlike those countries, morality laws are much more relaxed. Dubai is seen by many as the new Hong Kong. The economy there is booming to such an extent that only 10 percent of the UAE's economy comes from oil, which is usually more than half the GNPs of neighboring Middle Eastern countries.

Dubai has open bars, women allowed to wear somewhat revealing clothing, and Christian churches. Of course if you are caught living with your girlfriend and are not married you face deportation, and if your girlfriend is Muslim she might imprisoned, but from what I've read this isn't done too often, and most Westerners flout the rules.

This entry is largely explaining a day dream I've been having the last few days. I really do want to live in the UK for the indefinite future, but it's always good to have a backup plan. I'm sure in Dubai I'd be bored out of my mind, but one of the big draws (for me at least) of this city is the fact that it is rapidly becoming one of the last places on earth where you can buy a v8 sedan and use it as your everyday vehicle. It's something generations of Americans have been able to have before me, and it's something I will probably never experience. It's better that I don't experience it, because it is polluting and wasteful, but there is a part of me that wishes that perhaps just for a year I could have a good income, a muscle car of some sort, and a small arsenal. The American dream. I've sort of given it up...

Comments:
Rick, I thought they imported these to the UK? I had read that some Holden models like the Monarao were imported into the UK, I guess I'm wrong.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?